Prep time: Prep time: 30 minutes
Total time: 8 hours 30 minutes
Yield: 8 servings
- 3-1/2 lb pork shoulder blade roasts
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 onions, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 can tomato sauce
- 2 tbsp packed brown sugar
- 2 tbsp cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- Sprinkle pork with salt and pepper. In Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat; brown pork all over. Transfer to slow cooker.
- Add onions, garlic, chili powder, coriander and bay leaves to Dutch oven; cook, stirring often, until onions are softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add tomato paste; cook, stirring, until darkened, about 2 minutes. Add tomato sauce, sugar, vinegar and Worcestershire sauce, scraping up any browned bits. Pour into slow cooker. Cover and cook on low until pork is tender, 8 to 10 hours.
- Transfer pork to cutting board and tent with foil; let stand for 10 minutes. With 2 forks, shred or “pull” the pork apart.
- Meanwhile, pour liquid from slow cooker into large saucepan; skim off fat. Bring to boil over high heat; boil vigorously until reduced to 3 cups, 10 to 12 minutes. Discard bay leaves.
- Add pork; stir to coat and warm through. Sprinkle with green onions.