Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 12 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
Yield: 10-12 scones
- 2 3/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup natural cane sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cut in cubes
- 3/4 cup pumpkin purée
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk plus more for brushing scones
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and spices. Using a fork or pastry cutter, cut in the cold butter until the mixture is crumbly. Stir in the grated cheese.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the pumpkin and two eggs then fold the wet ingredients into the dry until everything is incorporated. The mix will seem a little dry, but don't overmix it. Add half of the milk and stir. Add the rest of the milk and kneed the mixture with your hands. It will be a bit on the sticky side.
- Scrape the dough onto a lightly-floured work surface. Flour your hands and form it into a round, flattening it to about 1/2-inch thick. Using a 2-inch round cookie cutter, cut the dough and transfer the pieces to your baking sheet.
Brush the tops with a little milk, and place the tray in the oven. Bake the scones for 10-12 minutes or until they're golden. Serve warm.
Related on MNN: