Prep time: 25 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
Yield: Makes 8-10 servings
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, thinly sliced
- 1 rib celery, thinly sliced
- 3 leaves kaffir lime, finely chopped
- 1 bird's-eye chili, finely chopped
- 6 Shiitake mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 4 button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 blocks dried Chinese noodles
- Handful baby bok choy, chopped finely
- Handful cilantro for garnish
- In large pot heat peanut oil and add onions. Cook until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add carrot and celery and cook another couple of minutes. Add both kinds of mushrooms and cook until mushrooms start to give off some of their liquid. Add kaffir lime leaves and chili and stir in.
- Add vegetable stock, soy sauce lime juice and cook until vegetables are tender. Add dried noodles and baby bok choy. Stir to break up noodles. Simmer until noodles and baby bok choy are tender. Taste for seasoning. Ladle into bowls and garnish with cilantro.
This story was originally written for Treehugger. Copyright 2011.
Related healthy eating stories on MNN: