Photo: Jerry James Stone
Prep time: 5 minutes
Total time: 20 minutes
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup cream
- 8 ounces Gorgonzola, cut into very small pieces
- 2 cups ricotta
- 1 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 cup flour
- To make Gorgonzola sauce, warm 2 tablespoons of butter in a large skillet and add 2 cloves of garlic, cook for about 2 minutes on medium high.
- Create a roux by adding the 2 tablespoons of flour, mix well. Whisk in the cream and then the broth. Bring to a low simmer and add Gorgonzola. Cook for about 2 minutes until cheese has fully melted.
- To make the Burnt-Honey Gnocchi, strain ricotta of excess water and transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- In a small skillet, bring honey to a boil then reduce heat and cook for 1 more minute.
- Fluff ricotta with a fork and add honey. Mix in Parmesan cheese and then flour.
- Let dough sit for 5 minutes, prepare floured work surface and roll heaping scoops of dough into 1/2 inch tubes, then cut into 1 inch pieces.
- Cook gnocchi in medium pot of simmering water until it floats to the top, about 2 minutes.
- Saute cooked gnocchi in 1 tablespoon of butter until browned on each side, toss with Gorgonzola sauce and serve.
This story was originally written for Treehugger. Copyright 2012.
Click for photo credits
Butter, garlic roux, dough: Jerry James Stone