Photos: Jaymi Heimbuch
Prep time: 5 minutes
Total time: 1 hour 45 minutes
- 2 large leeks
- 10 cups water
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 pounds yukon gold potatoes, cubed
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh dill
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup whipping cream, optional
- Remove the leeks' root and tough outer skin; halve lengthwise.
- Soak in 2 cups of water with 2 tablespoons of white vinegar for 30 minutes.
- Rinse well and chop.
- Melt butter in a large stock pot over a medium-high heat.
- Add chopped leeks, cook till softened.
- Add the remaining ingredients.
- Simmer over a medium-low heat until the potatoes fall apart (about 1 hour).
- Remove from heat.
- Using an immersion blender, puree to desired thickness.
This story was originally written for Treehugger. Copyright 2011.