Prep time: 30 minutes
Total time: 1 hour 10 minutes
Yield: Serves 4-6
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium-sized yellow onion, chopped
- 6 ounces (about 2 cups) cremini mushrooms, chopped
- 1 pound fresh spinach, stemmed and chopped
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup part skim mozzarella cheese, grated
- 15 ounces reduced-fat ricotta cheese
- 2 cups marinara or spaghetti sauce
- 9 no-bake lasagna noodles
- Rinse vegetables. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Combine butter and olive oil in large skillet. Heat for about 1 minute, until butter dissolves into oil. Add garlic and onion, sautee over medium-high heat until tender, 5 or 6 minutes. Add mushrooms and sautee until browned, 5 or 6 minutes. Add spinach in batches. Cook until spinach turns bright green and begins to wilt, 3 or 4 minutes. Add seasoning. Cover and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl combine eggs, mozzarella and ricotta cheese. Stir until blended.
- Pour 1/2 cup spaghetti sauce into an 8-by-12-inch baking dish. Line base with 3 noodles. Layer 1/2 of the sauteed vegetables, then cheese, then lasagna. Repeat.
- Place on the center rack of heated oven and cover loosely with foil. Cook 30 minutes. Remove foil and cook 15 more minutes, or until contents bubble and cheese begins to begins to brown. Remove from oven and allow to cool before serving.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Total time: 50 minutes
Yield: Serves 4-6
- 1 pound leeks
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- Pinch dried marjoram
- 2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup water, plus extra
- Dash sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Dash Tabasco or other hot sauce
- Pinch fresh marjoram, optional garnish
- Cut leeks lengthwise and rinse, discarding roots and dark green parts.
- Add oil and butter to base of large heavy-bottomed cooking pot. Melt over medium high heat. Add leeks and celery stirring periodically until tender, about 10 minutes. Add dried herbs and stir about 1 minute, until aromatic.
- Add potatoes, broth, milk and water. Bring to a low boil over medium heat, about 20 minutes. Reduce heat and let cool.
- Pour 4 cups of soup into a blender, process until smooth. Return to pot.
- Reheat soup. Serve hot with toast.
Photo: Liv friis-larsen/Shutterstock
Yield: Serves 4-6
- 8-10 pieces bone-in, skin-on chicken legs and thighs
- Dash salt and pepper
- 2 lemons, juiced and zested
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
- 2 ounces olive oil
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon flour
- Rinse chicken and place in a large baking dish. Sprinkle both sides of chicken with salt and pepper. Rub seasoning into flesh.
- In a food processer combine the zest of two lemons and lemon juice with garlic, paprika, red pepper flakes and olive oil. Process until blended. Pour marinade over chicken. Cover with aluminum foil and refrigerate for two hours.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Add broth to baking dish and reseal with aluminum foil. Place on center rack oven and cook for 45 minutes, or until juices run clear. Reset oven to broil, cook chicken until piece begins to brown.
- To make a dipping sauce pour liquid contents from baking dish into a small saucepan. Slowly add flour while stirring. Remove from heat as sauce thickens about 2 minutes.
Related stories on MNN: