Prep time: 25 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
- 1 small red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- Juice from one lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon agave nectar (or use 1 teaspoon honey for a non-vegan version)
- 1 teaspoon whole grain mustard
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cups large Brussels sprouts
- 1/2 cup finely grated Pecorino Romano (optional, for a non-vegan version)
- In a small bowl, soak the sliced onions in cold water. Set aside while you prepare the rest of the salad.
- In a separate small bowl, combine the lemon juice, agave or honey, mustard and a pinch of salt and pepper. Slowly whisk in the olive oil until the dressing is well combined. Set aside.
- Trim all of the Brussels sprouts by cutting off any bruised outer leaves and slicing off the hard root end. Using a mandoline or a sharp knife, thinly slice the sprouts into a very fine slaw. Toss the leaves a bit to separate them.
- Drain the onions and in a large bowl, combine the onions, sliced sprouts and dressing. Toss a few times then add the cheese (optional) and toss again. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve and enjoy!
Related recipes on MNN: