Prep time: 10 minutes
Total time: 50 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
Spiced Lentils with Arugula and Fried Eggs
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 large celery stalk, diced
- 1.5 cups green lentils
- 3/4 cup tomato purée
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 6 cups baby arugula
- 4 large eggs
- 1 pinch fine sea salt
- 1 dash freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tsp minced chives for garnish
- In a medium soup pot over medium heat, heat up one tablespoon of olive oil. Add the onion and celery, and cook until the vegetables are just barely softened.
- Add the lentils, tomato purée, vegetable stock and balsamic vinegar. Bring everything to a low boil. Turn heat to low and let the mixture gently simmer for about 40 minutes or until the lentils are tender and most, but not all, of the liquid is absorbed. Check periodically at the level of cooking liquid and add more stock if the lentils are soaking it up too quickly as they cook. You should have enough liquid for the lentils to cook and still have a bit of a sauce.
- When the lentils are cooked, turn off the heat and add the arugula. Stir and allow it to sit until the greens are just barely wilted.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add your eggs and fry until the whites are set but the yolk is still runny (or, of course, fry them however you most like your eggs).
- Spoon the hot lentils onto a plate, and gently slide a fried egg onto the top of the pile.
- Sprinkle with chives for garnish, serve and enjoy!