Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 2 hours
Total time: 2 hours 15 minutes
Yield: 6-8 servings
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 pinch coarse sea salt
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup long-grain brown rice, soaked in water overnight, then drained
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup chopped canned tomatoes with their juice
- 1 cup carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 cup parsnips, peeled and diced
- 1 cup sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1 cup yellow potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 1 pinch freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. In a large skillet over low heat, combine the onion, chili powder, cayenne, 1/4 teaspoon of salt and 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Saute the mixture, stirring often, until the onions are softened.
- Add the rice, then increase the heat to high. Cook the rice mixture for about 2 minutes, stirring often. When the water is evaporated, add the tomato paste, and stir to incorporate.
- Add the vegetable stock and the tomatoes, bring the mixture to a boil, then remove the skillet from the heat and set it aside, allowing the rice to absorb the water.
- In a medium bowl, combine the vegetables, the rest of the olive oil and 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Stir to coat the vegetables in oil, and then place them on a roasting pan or cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Roast the vegetables for about 40 minutes, checking turning them half way through to roast all sides evenly.
- Once done, stir the roasted vegetables into the rice mixture. Bring the skillet to a boil again, cover and lower the heat to low. Let the mixture simmer until most of the liquid is absorbed, about 50 minutes. Then, remove the skillet from the heat but keep the lid on, letting the rice steam for another 10 minutes.
- When done, stir in the parsley and adjust salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot, and enjoy!
Related on MNN: