Strawberries with Lemon-Strawberry Sauce
A light and simple dessert with a bright, fresh flavor.
About This Dish
Springtime means cool, light and colorful desserts. And that, of course, means fresh strawberries should play a starring role. This simple treat features fresh strawberries drizzled with a sweet and slightly tart sauce. Enjoy it with just the fruit or add in a scoop of whipped cream or ice cream.
- Cutting board
- Sauce pan
- Measuring cups and spoons
- 1 pound fresh strawberries, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup raw cane sugar or honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Juice from 1 Meyer lemon
- zest from 1 Meyer lemon
- 1 teaspoon corn starch
- 4 cups whole fresh strawberries
- Whipped cream or ice cream, optional
- In a sauce pan over low to medium-low heat, combine the chopped strawberries, sugar or honey, vanilla, lemon juice and lemon zest. Heat the mixture, stirring often until the strawberries become very soft, about 20 minutes.
- Pour the sauce into a colander over a bowl and let the sauce drain. Stir with a fork to help the sauce drip through the colander. Once the sauce has drained, discard what remains in the colander.
- Return the sauce to the pan. Over very low heat, add the corn starch and stir until combined. Stir continually as the sauce heats until it is the thickness of syrup. Remove from heat, put in a container and place in the fridge to cool.
- When the sauce is cooled, clean and trim the fresh whole strawberries. Slice them or keep them whole depending on your preference. Drizzle the sauce over the strawberries. If desired, top with a dollop of whipped cream or ice cream and garnish with a little more lemon zest.
- Serve and enjoy!