Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour 10 minutes
Total time: 1 hour 20 minutes
Yields: 6-8 servings
- 1 cup wheatberries
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped white onions
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup white wine (make sure it is vegan)
- 2 teaspoons coarsely chopped parsley
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Rinse the wheatberries by placing them in a strainer and running them under cold water. In a large soup pot, bring 2.5 quarts of water to a boil. Add the wheatberries and simmer for 50 minutes or until softened to al dente texture. Drain them and set aside in a bowl to cool to room temperature.
- In a medium skillet over low heat, heat the olive oil. Add the onions and cook, stirring frequently, for about 3 minutes or until they are translucent. Stir in the mushrooms and cook for 1-2 minutes or until they begin to sweat. Add the white wine and simmer for 10 minutes until the wine is mostly absorbed.
- Add the onions and mushrooms to the wheatberries in a large bowl. Add the chopped parsley, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Serve warm. This salad will keep in the fridge for up to a week, and makes excellent leftovers for cold lunches during the week.
Related recipes on MNN: