Berlin Hauptbahnhof (Berlin Main Station) is relatively young. While the sweeping glass structure officially opened in 2006, the history of the site where it was built dates back to 1870, when it was known as Lehrte Station. After being damaged in World War II, Lehrte saw limited use and was demolished after falling under East German jurisdiction.
Plans for a new station began soon after reunification. The most noticeable characteristic of the Hauptbahnhof is its curved glass roof, which is almost 400 feet long. The open design allows in a lot of natural light while also protecting waiting passengers from the elements.