If there is one thing that almost every woman will agree on it is this: There is nothing quite so freeing as that moment when you slip off your bra at the end of a long day. Even a good bra will pinch, tug and chafe as the day goes on, so is it really any wonder that it feels so good to cast it off and set the ladies free?
If you've ever wondered what it might feel like to go completely braless for a day, why not give it a try on Oct. 13 — a day officially recognized as National No Bra Day? The basic premise is that it is a day set aside to raise awareness about breast cancer (though no reputable cancer organizations claim an association with it) and remind women it's time to take a closer look at what's happening inside their undergarments.
Need more good reasons to go braless? Here are five:
1. Bras do nothing for your boobs. If you're like me, you might be under the impression that wearing a bra may keep your boobs from sagging over time. In fact, the opposite is true. In a study at France's University of Franche-Comté, professor Jean-Denis Rouillon found that breast muscle tissue was stronger in women who did not wear a bra. The same study, which tracked women over a 15-year-period, found that bras don't actually do anything to improve the overall health or appearance of your boobs.
2. Going braless improves circulation. It's kind of a no-brainer that when you remove your bra — and thereby remove the constricting band encircling your chest — your circulation will improve. Better circulation equates to healthier and firmer skin, and who couldn't use a little bit more of that?
3. Your boobs will be "perkier." Rouillon's study found that the nipples of women who went braless were an average of 7 millimeters higher than those of the women who did wear bras. Higher nipples = perkier boobs.
4. It just feels better. Why not enjoy that end-of-the day comfort all day long by skipping the bra, even if just for one day? If you're worried about how it will look, try wearing a top with a built-in shelf bra to get the benefits of support without the constriction of a bra.
5. Going braless gives you a chance to check things out. Ditching the bra for one day will give you a better opportunity to get up close and personal with your boobs in a way that you would not if they were ensconced in fabric. Now is a good time to do that breast self-exam you keep forgetting about and to make that mammogram appointment you've been meaning to schedule all year.