The Carnegie Center of Columbia-Tusculum, Cincinnati
The Carnegie Center was built in 1906 in the Beaux-Arts style, with large windows, 22-foot ceilings, brass chandeliers and patterned wood floors. Constructed by the architectural firm of Samuel Hannaford & Sons, it served as a public library until 1959.
These days, the magnificent building is still in use, but it's now privately owned and functions as a "community oriented, non-profit facility offering meeting and event space for cultural enrichment, social interaction and civic participation," according to its website.
At first, Carnegie libraries were built only where the philanthropist had a personal connection, such as Scotland or Pennsylvania. But starting in 1899, he stepped up his gifts, and few towns that requested a grant were refused, regardless of location.