Dunfermline Carnegie Library in Scotland
The first Carnegie library was located in his birthplace of Dunfermline, Scotland, and opened in August 1883. Designed by Edinburgh architect James Campbell Walker, Carnegie reportedly donated about $10,400 to build and stock the library. Though it was a success, the space was soon declared to be too small, and an extension began in 1904 to double the size of the original building. Another expansion in 1993 added meeting and exhibition rooms, children and music libraries and a local history room.
The library closed in 2014 for a $16 million redevelopment and is slated to reopen in 2017 as the main draw to a new cultural hub called Dunfermline Carnegie Library & Galleries.