I don’t know why I procrastinate gift-getting until the day I need said gift, but thanks to Damien Newton (right) of Streetsblog LA’s baby shower on Sunday, I’ve figured out how to support public transportation, DIY culture, fair trade, and the environment — all while using time efficiently:
And since Metro’s now on Google Transit, traveling green’s a lot simpler –
2. The bus ride’s about an hour long, so find “One Hour Baby Booties” knitting instructions in Stitch ‘n Bitch Nation.
3. Get on the bus and start knitting furiously! Field questions from an older gentleman who asks what you’re doing then launches into a story about how much he used to love cross-stitching.
4. Panic a little when the bus arrives on time — but the knitting’s not finished on time. Decide Streetsblog guests’ll be fine with your making the present at the event. Meet, greet, then keep knitting.
5. Modify the Stitch ‘n’ Bitch directions a bit to give the booties more flower power.
6. Compose a message in a “Falling Leaves” environmental greeting card — made of Saa paper from mulberry bark that regenerates each year and sold at fair trade e-store Novica.
7. Put everything in a pre-loved bag. Reuse!
Top screenshot from Google Maps; photos by Siel