Hood Milk Bottle
Faneuil Hall. Bunker Hill Monument. The Old North Church. The 40-foot-tall old-timey milk bottle.
In a historical tourism hotspot jam-packed with decidedly staid landmarks, the Hood Milk Bottle has been an offbeat fixture of the Fort Point Channel waterfront district since 1977 when the 15,000-pound faux glass bottle (it’s actually made from wood) was shipped to its current home outside the Boston Children’s Museum from Taunton, Massachusetts, where it was built in 1934 by Arthur Gagner as a drive-through ice cream stand. By the mid-1960s, the colossal bottle was abandoned and subsequently stood empty for a decade until New England dairy powerhouse HP Hood purchased the structure and handed it off to the museum. Decades — and one major renovation — later, it’s still the only landmark building in Beantown with the power to induce serious chocolate chip cookie cravings in all who set eyes upon it. And, by the way, if the Hood Milk Bottle was actually filled with milk, it could hold 58,620 gallons of lactose-heavy white liquid.