Opera de Monte-Carlo
The Opera de Monte-Carlo is part of the famed and lavish Casino de Monte-Carlo. Built under Prince Charles III, it opened in 1879 and became known as the Salle Garnier after its architect Charles Garnier, who also designed the Palais Garnier in Paris. Garnier used three types of gold to adorn the luxurious opera house, and, as with the Palais Garnier, he decorated the interior with the musical symbol of the lyre. In fact, many of the same artists who worked on the Palais Garnier worked on the Salle Garnier.
In 1966, Grace Kelly and Prince Rainier III hosted a gala dinner there in honor of Monaco’s centennial. And from 2003 to 2005, a meticulous renovation restored the small hall (it seats only 524) to its old-world glory.