This week — Sept. 5-11 — marks the fourth annual National Zero Waste Week, and this year's theme has me thinking beyond what goes in my trash can at home. This year, the theme is "Reducing waste away from home," focusing on the trash we generate when we're eating out, commuting to work, packing the kids' lunches for school, shopping or traveling.
Fortunately, there are lots of great ways to trim this "waste-line" on the go. Here are some ideas:
- Opt for a reusable travel mug instead of a disposable cup for your morning java.
- Pack a waste-free lunch for your kids to take to school.
- Bring home fruit peelings and cores from your lunch to compost at home.
- Bring take out containers to restaurants and skip the Styrofoam boxes.
- Avoid straws or disposable cutlery when eating out.
What's your favorite tip for minimizing waste away from home?