Build a safe campfire
Roasting marshmallows and telling ghost stories around the campfire are classic camping activities, but make sure you're abiding by fire safety rules to ensure that campfire doesn't get out of hand.
- Be aware of any bans or fire restrictions during forest fire season.
- Keep the fire contained in a fire pit. If there's not one at your campsite, construct a basic fire ring using large stones (pictured).
- Build the fire away from flammables like tents, clothing and backpacks.
- Keep the fire small to ensure you can keep it under control.
- Don't burn food because you may attract unwanted guests, like skunks and bears.
- Put the fire out at least 45 minutes before you leave the site or go to bed. Pour water on the coals and stir the ash several times to ensure the flames are out.