This story is a little bit green family, a little bit green transportation, and a little bit green building. The finalists for the America’s Greenest School contest have been announced and the winning school will receive a plug-in hybrid school bus from IC Bus worth about $200,000.
The finalists were chosen from a pool of nearly 2,000 student essays from 760 schools around the United States. Ten finalists have been chosen and the student that wrote the essay for the winning school will receive a $5,000 scholarship.
“Environmental highlights of the essays included the development of bus-riding campaigns, use of solar or wind power, ecosystem preservation projects, student environmental clubs, efforts to reduce energy and water usage, and various recycling programs.”
America’s Greenest School Finalists
- Alexander C., Irvington High School, Fremont, Calif.
- Dominik D., Riviera Beach Maritime Academy, West Palm Beach, Fla.
- Kara D., Asheboro High School Zoo School, Asheboro, N.C.
- Brianna F., Our Lady of the Sacred Heart High School, Pittsburgh, Pa.
- Amelie H., Sidwell Friends School, Washington, D.C.
- Bria K., Walden III Middle and High School, Racine, Wisc.
- Katherine K., Academy of the Holy Angels, Demarest, N.J.
- Carolyn L., WACO Elementary School, Crawfordsville, Iowa
- Hilary P., Redmond High School, Redmond, Wash.
- John T., Morningside Elementary School, Salt Lake Valley, Utah