A new report from the Blue Green Alliance and the Economic Policy Institute reveals some good news about the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA). According to the report, one million green jobs were created or saved thanks to Recovery Act funding for clean energy and other green technology projects.
Here are just a few highlights from the report.
- One million green jobs created or saved through the end of 2010
- GDP increased by $146 billion from the green investments provided by the ARRA
- New jobs were provided to many underserved communities, providing them with a pathway out of poverty
- 3.4 million jobs (all jobs, not just green jobs) were created or saved by the ARRA through mid-2010
- GDP was boosted by up to $520 million by the ARRA
- ARRA-related projects led to a decrease in the unemployment rate by up to 1.8 percentage points
The full report also features several case studies including the impact of the Weatherization Assistance Program, electric vehicle technology grants, the high performance green building program and the effects of the green jobs training programs that have been supported or created thanks to Recovery Act funding.
Read the report in its entirety by downloading it for free: Rebuilding Green: The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act and the Green Economy (PDF).