I admit it, I’m a tax nerd. I usually prepare a mock return based on the final paycheck of the year and then anxiously await my husband’s W-2 and my 1099s so I can file. Imagine my disappointment when I realized that I couldn’t file as soon as I get all of my paperwork this year. If you’re like me and you're wondering when you can file your 2010 taxes, I’m here to help shed some light on the situation.

Due to the Tax Relief, Unemployment Insurance Reauthorization, and Job creation Act of 2010, the IRS needs to make some changes to its system. Until these changes are made, the IRS is unable to accept returns from individuals who meet one or more of the following criteria:

  • Individuals or couples filing itemized deductions with Schedule A
  • Taxpayers claiming the higher education tuition and fees deduction
  • Taxpayers claiming the educator expense deduction
If you meet any of these three criteria, you’ll be waiting on the IRS to give you a green light. The IRS does not know exactly when it will be able to accept returns in these situations, but it is estimated that it will be sometime in mid to late February before all taxpayers will be able to file.

If you’re not filing a return with Schedule A itemized deductions, you aren’t claiming the higher education tuition and fees deduction or you aren’t claiming educator expenses, then you can already file electronically. The IRS began to accept e-file and free file returns on Friday, Jan. 14, 2011.

For more information, you can subscribe to the IRS Newswire. Once the IRS opens up filing for all taxpayers, you’ll be notified via e-mail.

When can you file your 2010 tax return?
If you file a return with itemized deductions, the IRS won’t be ready to accept your tax return for at least a month.